Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Working From Home

I apologize for my recent absence from the blogosphere. My internet stopped working at home and getting an appointment that fit into my schedule wasn't easy. I'm back now, and my internet-less time left me pondering my ability to work from home.

On the whole, the average classroom teacher can't actually work from home. You can do some work at home, but as the "important" part involves teaching children, they really can't all relocate to your house. There are options for teachers who wish to help students through online courses, but those teachers still generally have to go into a work building from time to time.

I do work from home occasionally. I dread taking things home because I have a horrible fear of losing whatever it is. I've never lost a student's assignment (knock on wood), but I'm still terrified I might. I figure that the less I move the work, the less likely I am to misplace it. If I really want to get an assignment back quickly, I will begrudgingly take a stack of papers home. I get them out of my bag, grade them and then put them back. I do all of this after bed time because I don't want to be the teacher whose toddler eats, draws on or in some way destroys student work. I prefer to get to work early or stay a little late instead of taking anything home because I'm so nervous about something happening to my students' work when it leaves the school building.

Since we have to use InfiniteCampus, I can also put in grades from home without bringing home a gradebook or a flashdrive of some sort. As long as you have access to the internet, and InfiniteCampus is working, you can access your gradebook from anywhere.

This is where I ran into a problem the last few days. I wanted to take home some work to grade it and get it back quickly, but lacking the internet at my humble abode, that just wasn't possible. In fact, I've learned these last several days just how much I rely on the internet. I hope it doesn't go down again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...