Thursday, March 24, 2011

Professor Umbridge Had an Audit

I'm exhausted from parent teacher conferences, which lasted yesterday and today after school. When I got home from school yesterday, my toddler wanted the TV. Being the great mom that I am, I popped on Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. He doesn't really watch it, but it's noise in the background. After he went to bed, I kept the movie on and watched it for the first time since the audit. Now that I'm a teacher, I've reread the books several times and seen the movies several times. This was my first time watching the movie and actually putting myself in the teacher's spot.

J.K. Rowling was onto something when she wrote that book. The audit process, and eventual firing of ineffective teachers, was very, very accurate. In case you haven't seen the film, here Umbridge is going on her own auditing process.

video

As I watched this part, I had to giggle to myself a bit. It's so true. All of it! Someone comes into a school with preconceived notions, asks questions and makes their mind up about you before you've even answered. I was fine until I saw the part where the ineffective teacher is fired. That was a bit too familiar given the recent letters sent out. Are there ineffective teachers in my school? Sure, but they are still people. Watching this fictional teacher booted from her job in front of all of her students was just too real.

It makes me wonder what kind of school "reforms" are going on around the globe since this school audit takes place in a fictional British school.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I love the HP reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i listen to BBC radio. they are having real issues, and fighting them,that seem based upon what's happening over here. it sounds like they're dismantling their whole educational system, which is centuries proven, of course. god help us all. i'd forgotten that part of the umbridge story as well. especially the clipboard...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...