Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The New Curriculum

In the midst of all of this upheaval to do with the audit, we are also preparing the implement a new curriculum next year. Someone, somewhere decided that learning to read to pass a test wasn't a good idea. So that's going to change. I don't know the exact ways it's going to change because the state and district are still in the process of ironing out the details. I do know that it's going to be massively different from what I do now. And that excites me.

Reading education right now is very rigid for people who teach at struggling schools. I can't count on my students to buy supplies or books to read at home. I have one class set of textbooks. Everything is read in the classroom because it has to be. We're marked struggling because our test scores are low. So we focus on the test. Our kids miss out on valuable education because we have to focus so much on the test. They don't get the chance to learn to think outside the box. School isn't fun for them.

That's changing. Next year? We're going back to the basics. More reading! More language instruction! Less test preparation! There will be standards for what's grade level for nearly everything.

My classes are about to get a lot more like what I had in school. I seriously can't wait. I know it will be hard to adjust. I've had the district binders for the last three years teaching. They'll suddenly be gone! No more units! Just overarching themes for the entire year of reading and writing.

I couldn't be happier. I may change my tune when I actually see the new curriculum, but for now it sounds wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...