Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Inside The Audit: The Re-Interviewing Process

Today we were informed that our school will have our interviews soon. How soon? Monday. On Monday, during our planning period, each teacher will meet with two administrators and two union representatives to try to keep their job. Our principal has thankfully been with us every step of the way. Despite the fact that he won't be returning, he is doing the best he can to keep us confident and informed.

Prior to our meeting this afternoon, we completed a small form saying whether or not we wanted to have an interview or just go ahead and take the transfer. I chose the interview. I'm not sure if I'll keep my job. I hope I do. I, and everyone, was led to believe that any teachers with less than three years at the audited schools would be safe. This was a lie. I knew it was a lie because last year, a friend of mine was overstaffed from another audited school despite being a second year teacher. He can't have been the only one.

I chose to believe, naively, that maybe they changed and I would be safe. Now I know for sure that I'm not. On one hand, this is fair. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I am inherently a better teacher than someone ten, fifteen or twenty years older than me.

On the other hand, these audits just need to stop and go away. The thought of facing my classroom after receiving a letter saying I would be overstaffed is a nightmare. The thought of returning to the building every day knowing that June would be the last time I set foot in there is terrifying.

I just want this to be over. I'm ready to just know and move on.

The interview lasts ten minutes. When combined with the time auditors spent in my room and interviewing me, I will have had under two hours total to prove that I am a good teacher who needs to stay with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...