Thursday, February 17, 2011

Where Do We Go From Here?

My school is a sad place right now. I honestly don't know where to go from here. I know I love my school and I want to stay. Aside from that, I want to know what to do to keep this from happening. Is it too late for my school? I don't know. I went into the audit process very naive and really believed that maybe they'd change their minds. I was wrong. They dug, and dug deep, to find problems. They blamed those problems on the teachers and principal because they can't blame parents, society and themselves. No one wants to hear those truths. No one wants to hear that some kids have been so shortchanged by the system that they have near irreparable damage by the time they reach high school.

I know this. I know that I won't blame the new guy. We're going to get a new principal, but it's not their fault. I need to cooperate with them to help my students. They didn't choose to have my school audited and are just another piece to be moved in this elaborate puzzle. I won't complain about how in the old days everything was like this. I will do the best I can for my kids and stick to the rules the new principal outlines. I hope they will listen to us when it comes to outlining how our school works.

I will do my best in my interview. I want to stay at my school and I will do what I can to stay. I will respect the people who choose to leave. I will be upset for those who don't want to leave, but have to anyway. I will hope I am not one of them, but I can never be sure. I've been at my school less than three years, but that didn't stop a friend of mine from being overstaffed last year.

I will do everything I can for my students. They need stability. Fourteen teachers will leave. I don't know which fourteen. It could have been worse. It could have been sixty percent. These are still fourteen of my coworkers. Fourteen of my friends. Fourteen of the people I've looked up to as a new teacher. That fourteen could possibly include me.

Now we get to wait again. The anticipation is honestly probably the worst part.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...