Friday, February 11, 2011

Teacher Book Club

No, it's not what you're thinking. We do have a book club for leisure style reading at our school, but it includes students, too. We have a special book club for the educators in our school. Why? To read professional books and discuss how we can use what we've learned to help our students and our school.

We read one book already, but the audit kind of took over everyone's life so we are just now getting back to our club. It was great and I'm so excited to get back into it! One of the things I loved the most was that it was like being back in grad school again. In grad school, I felt so up to date on education techniques and theory. Now that I've been in the classroom for three years, the jargon is already changing drastically. I'm finding myself left a bit behind the times.

It's also nice to read a book and just shake your head up and down as you realize this person has been there before. My kids aren't the only ones in trouble. Other teachers have had lots of successes with kids like ours. Our kids will succeed, too.

We had our informational meeting today and one book really stood out to me. I think I'll read it even if it's not the book our club chooses. It's called Shadow Children - Understanding Education's #1 Problem. Who are the shadow children? Abused kids. Neglected kids. Kids that coast by and no one really notices them. Those middle of the road kids that need help and can get better if someone realizes that just because they aren't failing, doesn't mean they don't need assistance. Targeting the "shadow children" that I teach is new goal as an educator.

Reading to improve your educating skills is always a good thing. Whichever book we pick, I'll be sure to give you all my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...