Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Students Don't Have Filters

It's true. Students have absolutely no filter. There is no tact in the world of being a student. I don't remember being so clueless, but perhaps I was.

My coworker is a gorgeous woman. She works out a lot and definitely doesn't look her age. However, she has some gray hair that she touches up. One of her students was standing over her while she was sitting at her desk. "Wow. You need to dye your hair," says the student.

A common one is for female teachers to be asked if your pregnant. All during my pregnancy, when students asked, I'd tell them "Yes, but that's really rude to ask someone that question." When they'd ask why, I'd tell them that they were basically calling the woman fat if she really wasn't pregnant. Now that I'm not pregnant? Wearing empire-waisted shirts and dresses has become a thing of the past. I've learned what clothes to not wear because the students are on bump-watch and they'll ask you if you're pregnant. What cracks me up is how they're not even embarrassed when you answer no, you are not pregnant. Only one of my students has ever seemed sorry, but he quickly followed it with "Maybe you shouldn't wear that shirt anymore." Thanks, kid.

Cutting your hair can be a nightmare. You know how sometimes your friend gets a haircut and they really don't look that great, but you don't exactly tell them (unless they are asking for your very honest opinion)? Students don't have that mode. If you get a hair cut and they don't like it, they will tell you. They will tell you in great detail what is wrong with it and what you should do to fix it. If you're a woman and you cut your hair short, one of your girls might even cry because you had such pretty long hair until you chopped it all off! When I cut my hair short last year, one of my students let out a hysterical "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when she saw me and asked why I would ever do that.

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to walk around and just randomly blurt out the first thing that pops into my head. I can see how some teachers might be offended, but you just have to laugh at some of the things they say. Besides, even if they don't like your new haircut, you do. Not everyone is going to love everything about you every second of the day. Being a teacher really brings that to the forefront. To be a teacher, you really need to develop thick skin and let the little things go. If you can't handle the fact that they don't like the shoes you're wearing, you're never going to be able to discipline them while you're worrying about whether or not they like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...